With both Mountain and Waterfall Views, rare gem, transcendent, has it all, are some of the ways you might describe this bit of North Carolina heaven. Immersed in the background sounds of a cascading waterfall and mountain stream running along the property, this beautiful hunk of acreage is located in the prestigious, gated Bald Rock community...with rewarding hiking, biking, and horse-back riding trails literally just outside your doorstep. (Exclusive to this property, one trail leads directly to beautiful Maidenhair Falls.) Kids will love exploring the waterfalls and stream hunting for shiny gem stones (and finding the occasional colorful salamander or baby spotted trout).
Besides an in-community equestrian center, ownership also includes deeded access to Svma (Sapphire Valley Master Association) amenities such as swimming, canoeing, fishing, hiking etc. on private Lake Fairfield nestled against ancient Bald Rock Mountain. You'll also have access to indoor/outdoor heated pools, golf (2 courses), tennis, fitness and rec centers (including arcade & mini-golf), etc... all less than 5 minutes away.
Just 10 minutes away is World-Class Gorges State Park, where you can hike to (& swim at) 150' Rainbow Falls & Turtleback Falls... along with many other beautiful hikes in the Highlands Plateau area. A little further north and south is the Nantahala river (milder rapids) and Chattooga river (more class 3 & 4 rapids) respectively where you can enjoy white water rafting. Also note that the region is a Fly-fisherman's paradise with more creeks and streams than you could ever explore (but can happily try).
On a more practical note, you can make quick runs to the nearby, well-provisioned (Ingles) grocery store for that last minute 'guac' dip, or for eggs or milk in the morning... and to the Bucks or Starbucks for that mocha/caffeine fix. Just as practical, you can fly into artsy Asheville and only drive about a scenic hour till you're home. Festive Cashiers is the next town over and the next town from there, the historic Highlands, shopping, dining, & sight-seeing make for another great outing (make sure to visit the one-of-a-kind Colonel Mustard's to sample the hundreds of jellies, sauces, salsas, etc. for purchase :-).
Directions to Land
Note: When in Sapphire NC, you can have your GPS locate Feldspar Ln. and lead you up most of the way and then drive a little further to Gumwood Ln. BTW, Waze actually registers Gumwood Ln. in its driving maps.
1) Enter off HWY 64 onto Tray's Island Road…the main entrance to Bald Rock in Sapphire NC.
2) Stay left on Tray's Island Road whenever there's a fork on main road.
3) On the final left leg, pass Feldspar Ln. on your left and go up another few hundred yards to just before the bridge and Tray's Island Creek (on the map).
4) Turn left on Gumwood Ln (though it says one-way, it is rarely used with plenty of room to pull aside) and driveway is a couple hundred feet on your left…OR
5) Proceed past Gumwood Ln exit and
6) Take next left off Tray's Island Road onto Maidenhaire lane
7) Take next left onto E Bald Rock dr…and
8) Take next left onto Gumwood Ln entrance…go all the way down towards bottom of hill until you see driveway on right (a couple hundred feet before you get to Tray's Island Road again).