30’ deeded easement to the tranquil James River provides access to it quiet waters for excellent small mouth bass fishing or an exciting adrenaline rush aboard Edgehill’s own 50hp 2-man Air Commander Hovercraft. Hovercraft conveys with the property [See information below.]
Edgehill has been placed on the National and State Historic Landmark Registers.
Edgehill's 1830 Federal-style manor home sits on a bluff with grande views of the majestic James River and is surrounded by scenic mountains and beautiful Amherst County countryside.
Original outbuildings include the summer kitchen, a one-room school house, a tobacco barn, and numerous others that add both historical charm and utility to the Edgehill mystique. Improvements also includes a modern service shop, built in 2005, that doubles as covered parking. The exterior brick was imported from England and is laid in Flemish Bond.
The grounds include a 200 year old Hackberry tree, over a hundred boxwoods, some of which are a century old, and the original 19th century rose garden which was located and restored. The house contains six/seven bedrooms and seven full bathrooms. There are seven wood and marble fireplaces and hearty pine floors in the main structure.
In 1995, a large wing was added which includes 4 bedrooms (each with its own bathroom) and a one-of-a-kind sun room with a bay window. The kitchen and butler’s pantry were designed by an executive chef.
Come, and see this beautifully-restored, historical home with all the modern conveniences.
Notes on the Property's Heritage from Hill is significant under Criterion C for architecture. The house, constructed 1833, is a well-preserved example of Federal-style architecture in Amherst County. Its significant exterior Federal-style features include the decorative lintels on the main elevation and the parapets and wooden inserts on the gable ends. On the interior, the decorative mantels were influenced by pattern books of the day such as Asher Benjamin’s The American Builder’s Companion. Other significant features of the property include the use of oil bricks for construction. Oil bricks, laid in Flemish bond, were generally used for facades, as was done at the Pavilions at the University of Virginia. However, the main section of Edge Hill used oil bricks for the entire exterior, not just the façade, as at Bremo Plantation in Fluvanna County. Attached to the main house is the earliest structure on the property, a c. 1801 house.
Surrounding the house are what appear to be the remains of 19th century formal gardens: the circular mound in front of the house and a concentric circular garden on its west side. The property retains several of its outbuildings and among these is the only remaining Amherst County 19th-century sawmill with its machinery. This property --both the house with its intact architectural features and the surrounding grounds and outbuildings -- retains much of its historical integrity despite changes and alterations over time and serves as a tangible reminder of 19th-century life in Amherst County. Edge Hill was the property of the Walker Family from 1801 to 1947. In 1984, Virginia Fibre/Greif Brothers purchased the house for use as a corporate guesthouse, and in 2004 Edge Hill again became a private residence.
Air Commander AC3 (10.5’ long)
Lift engine: Hirth F-33 28hp
Thrust engine: Rotax 503 50hp
2006 model year, white
Terms: 5% Buyers Premium added to high bid(s) to determine contract sales price(s). 10% deposit due on the day of the auction with the balance due at closing within 30 days. Potential buyers must perform such independent investigations with respect to property as they deem necessary to verify information provided by the auction company and/or seller. All information provided by the auction company and/or seller is deemed reliable but not warranted. All property is being sold “as is” without representations or warranties of any kind or nature. Full terms available online and displayed on day of the auction. VAAF93