Upper Michigan Country Homestead for sale. Motivated Seller.. This 79-Acre property is located in West Central Ontonagon Township, in Ontonagon County of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The parcel offered for sale is in the Green District, a small district that extends southward from Lake Superior, about seven miles west of Ontonagon. M-64 borders the lakeshore, crossing the district east to west. Recreational homes line the north lakeshore side of M-64, and a mix of seasonal recreational and year-round homes are on the south side. Tourists pass through this area, and stop and picnic at the screened pavilion at the Green Park located on the lakeshore near the intersection of M-64 and Townline Road. Green grew out of the lumber boom that occurred along the Lake Superior shore during the 1890s. In the early 1900s the C. V. McMillan Lumber Company maintained a camp for logging operations on the lakeshore. By 1904, a post office was established, and Thornton Green, a Company Manager, joined with other entrepreneurs to form the Greenwood Lumber Company, which purchased the timber rights of the McMillan Company in the area. The community of Green was a hub for logging operations in the adjacent woodlands. In an effort to entice settlers into the area, the McMillan Company began selling sections of cutover acreage near their camp to Finnish immigrants as early as 1903. The Greenwood Lumber Company made the settlement a model company town, and established Hemlock Hill farm to serve as a model farm for immigrants. New housing for employees, a general store, and a Finnish Lutheran church were constructed around the company's Camp No. 2. With more families relocating to the area, a one-room schoolhouse was constructed in 1906, and a larger school house was constructed in 1922 to accommodate the growing community. The main route is M-64 which runs along the lake shore, and from there roads extend south to inland farms. By the 1920s, the Finnish and eastern European settlers in the area had firmly established their farms. They created the Green Farmers' Threshing Company farming cooperative for farmers. The Greenwood Lumber Company closed during the Depression, leaving Green a farming community with a population of 156 in about 1940. Farming declined after World War II as children moved away to larger communities, and jobs at the White Pine mine drew many away from the fields. The Green Farmers' Threshing Company was dissolved in the late 1950s. Since then, Green's population has gradually declined, but today there are still agricultural and recreational lands available, and the gently rolling landscape is filled with wooded and open areas. Lake Superior to the north, and thousands of nearby acres of Corporate CFA and State of Michigan Lands offer opportunities for hunting, trapping, and fishing. The west end of Multi-Use State Trail No. 12 runs along LP Walsh Road. A stretch of the Little Cranberry River, a 11.3-mile-long river, crosses the property and flows north to empty into Lake Superior. In the back of the property are the remains of the old homestead, hay barn and root cellar. The current Two-Bedroom home has be been lovingly remodeled. Custom pine wall and base cabinets with ceramic countertops have been installed in the Kitchen. Laminate flooring and baseboards, windows, painting, and trims, and bathroom fixtures have been updated in the interior, and a 9x28 Deck has been added to the front of the home. Outbuildings include an 8x14 Sauna, a 12x18 Garden Shed, a 10x21 Lean-To Storage Shed and a 21x30 Garage. If you seek a recreational Home / Hobby Farm make your appointment today.